26 July 2010

William's Favorite Authors

Isaac Asimov
When I was nine or ten, I came across a story in one of my school readers about two kids that find a real printed book. It was a short story written by the Master of Sci-Fi, Isaac Asimov. For years, I read nothing but Asimov, the Foundation series (Foundation and the Earth was my favorite), the Robot novels (Caves of Steel!), and some odds and ends. He helped me understand that sci-fi wasn't always Star Wars and Star Trek, that stories could be about the mind, and ideas, and not blasters. The day he died, I was in high school, and I wept for the old master.
Frank Herbert

I had seen the 1984 Dune movie repeatly over the years, but it was not until 1991 that I read the masterwork that is Dune, and spent the next two years reading the entire series. No single work of sci-fi compares to the level imagination embodied in Dune. I quote from his novels frequently, and still marvel at this masterpiece. The world is better place because of him. Now, if they could just make a decent movie out of the Dune novels!


Joe Haldeman
Reading the Forever War is where I discovered my own brand of Military Sci-Fi. This is the premiere literary example of Military Sci-Fi, and perfectly captures the reality of traveling faster-than-light. I am still in awe over the ability of Mr. Haldeman to incorporate hard science, and his Vietnam War experience into a great story that operates on many levels. 
I just hope that Mr.Scott does it justice in the film version.





Masamune Shirow
It is my belief that Cyberpunk is one of the hardest sci-fi genres to write. Few do it better than Mr.Shirow. I first saw the anime version of Ghost in the Shell in 1996. By the end, I was speechless. Mr. Shirow changed the way I look at weapons, technology, computers, and mecha. The Anime was very good, but the Manga was even better. I still read it about three
times a year. 

Eric Nylund
Most video game movies or books based on a video game suck. I loved the HALO games, but couldn't bring myself to read the books. I still could remember the stool sample that was the DOOM novels. However, I wanted to know what happened on Reach, and desperate for good military sci-fi, I bought this at half-priced books. I read it in three days, and loved every minute of it. I have since picked up the other HALO books written by Mr. Nylund, and his skill comes through every page.


 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Or Robert Heinlein?! The man wrote "Starship Troopers" for Christ sake! Or Arthur C. Clarke.

      Delete
    2. And what about John Scalzi? No Man's War and it's sequels were fantastic!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete